With the start of the New Year, now is an important time to be reminded about the potential of email scams. Email scams, which can also be referred to as phishing scams, are fraudulent attempts to obtain sensitive information or money by disguising as a trustworthy entity in an email communication. These scams often target individuals, businesses, or organizations. Below are a few common types of email scams:
Phishing Emails: These emails appear to be from a legitimate source, such as a bank, government agency, or popular website, and often contain urgent messages that prompt the recipient to click on a link and enter sensitive information like passwords or credit card numbers.
Invoice or Payment Scams: In these instances, scammers will send fake invoices or payment requests, while posing as legitimate vendors or service providers, and trick individuals or businesses into making payments.
Please keep in mind the following tips when you receive a suspicious email:
DO NOT call the phone number listed in the email
- The person who answers may claim they are from the company you think you are calling, but they are not.
DO NOT reply to emails from people you don’t know
- Especially those including links for which you don’t know the destination.
- DO NOT provide your debit or credit card number over the phone to someone in order to claim a refund
DO NOT download an application in order to receive a refund.
- Scammers often create fake mobile applications & websites that impersonate legitimate companies.
DO be vigilant for scammer’s clever use of links to our website, fake websites, or fake email domains.
- Remember, we will never ask you to provide personally identifying information (such as your debit card number, account number or social security number) over the phone, email or text.
- DO contact the Bank or card company if you are concerned about a suspicious email & to verify any needed action, using contact info listed on our website.
- If you feel you have been victimized by a fraud attempt contact our Customer Care Center immediately at (888) 372-9788.