This text message is NOT from Centennial Bank!
While the phone number looks to be our Customer Care Center phone number, when you click the link, you are redirected to a different number. When you respond, you will receive a phone call appearing to be from Centennial Bank, but it is NOT.
The message is similar to legitimate fraud prevention text messages that Centennial Bank sends out. The biggest difference is that the Bank will not call you after you respond asking for a full card number.
There are many ways that scammers may attempt to trick you into giving them your personal information. They may use texts (like the one above), emails and phone calls to attempt to gain your personal information.
Impersonation is a commonly used method. The impersonation may even start before you answer the phone. Your phone can be tricked into believing a call is coming from one of our branches. This is called spoofing.
Some impersonation tactics that have been used to scam people include:
- Your phone shows a call is coming from Centennial Bank and the caller impersonates a bank representative to ask for personal or financial information.
- Impersonating a bank representative on the phone and stating that charges were flagged by the bank, then offering to change your PIN to your debit card while on the line.
- Impersonating someone from a software company to trouble shoot your software to access your internet banking.
Use these tips to protect yourself from scams:
- Do not give your passwords, PIN or social security number to anyone!
- Review your account transactions frequently and report any unauthorized transactions to our customer care center as soon as you notice them.
- Report suspected or known scams to the FBI online at ic3.gov.
Our standard practices regarding your account(s) with us are still in place.
- We will never call you to ask for verification of identity, account numbers, card numbers, PIN, social security number, usernames, passwords or any other personally identifying information.
- We will never tell you to call a number that is not a branch line (these can be found at my100bank.com/locations) or our customer care center line at (888) 372-9788.
- We will never tell, ask or recommend you transfer money or withdraw it.
For your safety and security please know:
- Scammers can learn a lot about you online and through social media.
- Your phone can be tricked into believing a call is coming from one of our branches.
Here at Centennial Bank we are committed to protecting our customers from identity theft and to spotting fraudulent activity. We generate multiple reports to examine potential fraudulent account activity daily. Suspected money mule accounts and other types of fraud are investigated thoroughly. Call our Customer Care Center at (888) 372-9788 and report fraudulent activity immediately if you feel you have been victimized.
To learn more about preventing and spotting fraud and identity theft visit our Information Security page here.